Enrollment, Fall 2018 (on Grounds)
Graduate and Professional: 6,746
Total on Grounds: 22,985
Rhodes Scholars: 53
Undergraduate Student Profile
- Students come from 49 states and 128 foreign countries.
- Virginia residents make up 69 percent of the undergraduate student body.
- 55 percent of undergraduates are women.
- Student-to-faculty ratio is 15 to 1.
Graduation Rates, Entering 2012
- The six-year graduation rate for students who entered in fall 2012 is 94 percent.
- The six-year graduation rate for African-American students who entered in fall 2012 is 87 percent, representing one of the highest African-American graduation rates among major public institutions in the United States.
Land and Facilities
As of December 2018
- 3,374 acres of land in Charlottesville and elsewhere
- 575 buildings or major facilities with a replacement value in excess of $4.4 billion
University Budget, 2019-2020
University (all divisions): $3.7 billion
Academic Division: $1.9 billion
Medical Center: $1.8 billion
UVA's College at Wise: $50.6 million
State Appropriations: For the 2019-20 budget year, state appropriations will provide approximately 8.7 percent of the Academic Division's operating budget and 5.0 percent of the total University budget.
In 2018, Moody's, Fitch, and Standard & Poor's all re-affirmed the University's AAA bond rating, citing UVA's strong financial profile, premier reputation and stable demand, low debt burden, solid liquidity, and solid fundraising. UVA is one of only a few select universities to receive the highest possible bond ratings from the major bond-rating agencies.
1817: Laying of cornerstone, Pavilion VII
1819: University’s official founding
1825: Enrollment of first students
1826: Rotunda completed
1895: Fire guts Rotunda
1898: Restoration by Stanford White
1976: Rotunda Restoration
2016: Major restoration of Rotunda, reopening with renewed emphasis on student and academic use
2017-2019: Bicentennial Celebration
Lawn rooms: 54
Range rooms: 53