Safety is a top priority at UVA. Safety services – including law enforcement, emergency management, threat assessment, Clery Act compliance and youth protection, and safety and security technology – operate as one comprehensive unit in the Department of Safety and Security. Our mission is to be a partner dedicated to making the community safe for everyone. Students should always report suspicious activities, and call 911 for help in an emergency.
University Police Department
The University Police Department (UPD) is a nationally accredited police department providing the same types of services as a municipal police department, as well as other services unique to an academic institution. University police take pride in their brand of policing, which is based on fair, equitable, and transparent service delivery and community engagement.
UPD's statutory arrest jurisdiction includes the property of the University as well as adjacent streets and sidewalks. In addition, the department participates in a mutual aid agreement with other local departments and in an agreement with the city of Charlottesville, which gives University officers concurrent jurisdiction in much of the city area surrounding the University.
UPD directs the Ambassador program at UVA. Ambassadors are not security and are not armed. They provide a highly visible and engaged presence in areas where students live and socialize off Grounds. Ambassadors patrol on foot and bikes as well as staff strategic stationary locations. Their zone map can be viewed at http://ambassadors.uvapolice.virginia.edu.
Student Safety Checklist
- Become familiar with the Student Safety Guide in this handbook.
- Remember: If in doubt, always call 911.
- Take responsibility for your own safety, and be mindful of the safety of friends and fellow students.
- Know the options for late-night transportation, including Safe Ride, Charge-a-Ride, and University buses.
- Add cell phone numbers to your UVA Alerts account.
- Download the LiveSafe app.
- Enter important phone numbers into your phone for easy dialing.