Search This Site

Planning Ahead: Second-Year Housing

Both students and parents should be aware of intense discussion that begins as early as September about signing a lease for second-year housing in an off-Grounds apartment. The University advises students and parents not to act too quickly, and to make informed decisions based on factual information.

Various factors, including the local market, drive the publicity and resulting sense of pressure surrounding signing apartment leases. In truth, a surplus of apartment housing has been available in the Charlottesville area for the past few years.

Many students wait until the spring to decide whether to live on or off Grounds, and they still are able to find attractive options open to them. Housing & Residence Life continues to make offers to current undergraduates without housing throughout the spring and summer. See the Housing Comparison Guide: Deciding Where to Live Second Year.

On-Grounds Housing for Upperclass and Incoming Transfer Students

About 40 percent of second-year students choose to live on Grounds. The options are varied, including halls, apartments, residential colleges, or language houses.

For students who prefer a single room, the greatest availability exists in Johnson House, Copeley Apartments, and Faulkner Apartments. Double room opportunities are available in Bice House and Lambeth Field Apartments. Details about upperclass housing options are available on the Housing & Residence Life website.

Transfer students may choose from any of the upperclass housing options. For complete details, go to Incoming Transfers.


Apartment units, each housing two to six people, comprise most of the on-Grounds housing for returning undergraduates and incoming transfer students. Routine housekeeping is the residents’ responsibility. Students must provide their own linens, shower curtains, and cooking and eating utensils. They must also replenish or replace consumable items, such as bathroom tissue and light bulbs. All apartments are air-conditioned.

Bedrooms can be single or double occupancy. The common area of each apartment is furnished with a sofa, chairs, dining table and chairs, refrigerator, stove, and window coverings. Each bedroom contains one or two beds, desks with chairs, wardrobes, and window blinds. Depending on the area, wardrobes with built-in drawer space or dressers are provided. In other areas, dressers are provided. Laundry facilities are available in each of the apartment complexes.

Transportation from these areas to Central Grounds is provided by University Transit Service.

Apartment options include:

  • Bice House
  • Copeley Apartments
  • Faulkner Apartments
  • Lambeth Field Apartments

Suites and Halls

Johnson House

Located near Hereford College, these hall-style facilities are designed for upperclass and incoming transfer students. The residential spaces are a combination of single and double air-conditioned rooms (two-thirds are singles) with central bath areas on each floor that open onto a common hallway. Each floor shares two furnished lounges, one equipped with a sink and microwave. Johnson allows students to come together for socializing or studying, combining community living with the privacy of singles. Area features include a dining hall, laundry facilities, and outdoor recreation areas.

Residential Colleges

Please see Residential Colleges for a description of the University's three residential colleges. First-year and incoming transfer students may also live in a residential college. Each college requires a supplemental application.

Language Houses

Language houses offer a rewarding experience in which students are immersed in a language with fellow residents and deepen their cultural understanding. Residents come from many different backgrounds, but share an ability and willingness to communicate in the target language. Some houses ask for residents to communicate in the language in common areas; others offer an environment of total language immersion.

Shea House serves as the cultural and linguistic center at UVA for six to eight different languages, which may vary each year. Previous languages have included Arabic, ASL, Chinese, German, Hebrew, Hindi and Urdu, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Persian, and Russian.

For more information, see the Shea House website.

Next door at 1408 Jefferson Park Avenue is La Casa Bolívar (the Spanish House), which houses 23 students. La Maison Française (the French House) is located at 1404 Jefferson Park Avenue, next to the Spanish House, and houses up to 27 students. Students may apply to live in a language house after their first year. Each house requires a supplemental application, and students may be required to participate in a meal plan. For more information, students should contact the appropriate language department or see Language Houses.