Search This Site

Advising Resources

When students arrive, they have access to a broad network of advising resources. Each College student is assigned to both an association dean and to a faculty member who can assist them with scheduling classes and defining their academic interests.

College Association Deans by Residence Hall or Affiliation

To facilitate academic advising, every student is placed in an “association.” The association dean’s primary responsibility is to advise students on academic matters and to refer them to the various resources and offices the University has established to assist them. Students should never hesitate to call on their dean. Each of the 12 association deans schedules office hours in Monroe Hall, and the College staff are happy to arrange appointments. 

An important source for students throughout their four years, the association deans advise students on academic matters, help with academic plans, and provide resources for other avenues of assistance. The deans are useful resources for discussing classes and potential majors, for making plans for studying abroad, or for providing help when facing academic challenges.

Students are assigned to their association deans based on either their first-year housing assignment or based on their designation as an Echols scholar, student-athlete, or transfer student. Students remain with the same association as long as they remain in the College.

The deans have daily office hours; students can make an appointment to meet with their association dean at any time by calling 924.3351 or by visiting 101 Monroe Hall. The College also offers Walk-In Advising from 2:30 to 4 p.m. every Monday through Friday (no appointment is needed)

More details about association deans, including their photos, assigned areas, and contact information, are available on the College website.

Other Sources of Advising Help

In addition to discussing courses, the faculty adviser also can refer students to other University resources (both academic and nonacademic) as needed. Students also should get to know their professors, as the classroom is an ideal setting to develop relationships between students and faculty, and these less formal faculty relationships often become important advising relationships as a student develops her or his academic interests.

When students are ready to learn more about particular majors, they can talk with the director of the undergraduate program in that department or program. Students are encouraged to seek out these faculty whenever they have questions about a specific major, even if they are not yet ready to declare that major. Once a student has declared a major, then she or he will be assigned to an adviser in that major.

College Council

Also available to help College students is the College Council, which is the governing body for students in the College. For more than 100 years, this organization has represented the interests, ambitions, and academic needs of students in the College, and has worked to build a constructive community of learning. Its fundamental mission is to foster a sense of unity within the College. The council also provides peer academic advising to all students in the College. Representatives from each of the 37 academic departments and interdisciplinary degree programs are trained as peer academic advisers. These representatives aid students in choosing classes and majors and are especially useful to first- and second-year students.