Enrollment, Fall 2015 (on Grounds)
Graduate and Professional: 6,316
Total on Grounds: 21,985
Rhodes Scholars: 51
Undergraduate Student Profile
- Students come from 49 states and 124 foreign countries.
- Virginia residents make up 69 percent of the undergraduate student body.
- 55 percent of undergraduates are women.
- Student-to-faculty ratio is 15 to 1.
Graduation Rates, Entering 2009
- The six-year graduation rate for students who entered in fall 2009 is 94 percent.
- The six-year graduation rate for African-American students who entered in fall 2009 is 89 percent, representing one of the highest African-American graduation rates among major public institutions in the United States.
Land and Facilities
- 3,411 acres of land in Charlottesville and elsewhere
- 564 buildings or major facilities with a replacement value in excess of $3.6 billion
University Budget, 2016-2017
University (all divisions): $3.2 billion
Academic Division: $1.64 billion
Medical Center: $1.52 billion
UVA's College at Wise: $43.7 million
For the 2016-17 budget year, state appropriations will provide approximately 9.3 percent of the Academic Division's operating budget and 5.3 percent of the total University budget.
In 2016, Moody's, Fitch, and Standard & Poor's all re-affirmed the University's AAA bond rating, citing UVA's strong financial profile, premier reputation and stable demand, low debt burden, solid liquidity, and solid fundraising. UVA is one of only a few select universities to receive the highest possible bond ratings from the major bond-rating agencies.
1817: Laying of cornerstone, Pavilion VII
1819: University’s official founding
1826: Rotunda completed
1895: Fire guts Rotunda
1898: Restoration by Stanford White
1976: Rotunda Restoration
Lawn rooms: 54
Range rooms: 53
Budget for 2014-2016 Rotunda restoration: $42.5 million
Source of funds: Donations and state appropriations (no tuition dollars)