Enrollment, Fall 2016 (on Grounds)
Graduate and Professional: 6,446
Total on Grounds: 22,391
Rhodes Scholars: 53
Undergraduate Student Profile
- Students come from 49 states and 135 foreign countries.
- Virginia residents make up 69 percent of the undergraduate student body.
- 54 percent of undergraduates are women.
- Student-to-faculty ratio is 15 to 1.
Graduation Rates, Entering 2010
- The six-year graduation rate for students who entered in fall 2010 is 94 percent.
- The six-year graduation rate for African-American students who entered in fall 2010 is 91 percent, representing one of the highest African-American graduation rates among major public institutions in the United States.
Land and Facilities
As of May 2017
- 3,445 acres of land in Charlottesville and elsewhere
- 559 buildings or major facilities with a replacement value in excess of $4.1 billion
University Budget, 2017-2018
University (all divisions): $3.4 billion
Academic Division: $1.71 billion
Medical Center: $1.67 billion
UVA's College at Wise: $42.2 million
State Appropriations: For the 2017-18 budget year, state appropriations will provide approximately 8.5 percent of the Academic Division's operating budget and 4.8 percent of the total University budget.
In 2017, Moody's, Fitch, and Standard & Poor's all re-affirmed the University's AAA bond rating, citing UVA's strong financial profile, premier reputation and stable demand, low debt burden, solid liquidity, and solid fundraising. UVA is one of only a few select universities to receive the highest possible bond ratings from the major bond-rating agencies.
1817: Laying of cornerstone, Pavilion VII
1819: University’s official founding
1825: Enrollment of first students
1826: Rotunda completed
1895: Fire guts Rotunda
1898: Restoration by Stanford White
1976: Rotunda Restoration
2016: Major restoration of Rotunda, reopening with renewed emphasis on student and academic use
Lawn rooms: 54
Range rooms: 53